The first ever Citizen Media Forum at Kutztown University corresponds with the launch of the new minor in Digital Communication and New Media this fall. On October 14th, CMF15 will bring to campus several speakers who are active in citizen media to talk about their work and how they made a path for themselves in a rapidly developing field. CMF15 will begin with a panel featuring young citizen journalists and media activists who are effective is using both established and new media tools to bring attention to stories that traditional media is less inclined to cover. The keynote speaker features Rick Smith, the founder of a labor-oriented radio show based out of Harrisburg, PA, who will discuss the need to build a media network devoted to covering the stories most important to working families.
- 4:00 p.m. | Media meetup with panelists, speakers, and DCNM minor faculty, Room, MSU 183
- 5:00 p.m. | Citizen Media Panel, MSU 183
- 6:15 p.m. | Intermission w/ snacks and refreshments, MSU 183 lobby
- 6:30 p.m. | Keynote address, MSU 183
SPEAKERS (full bios here)
- Keynote: Rick Smith – In 2005, The Rick Smith Show stepped into a local radio world devoid of progressive talk. Rick took his straight shooting no nonsense Teamster outlook to the air and started mixing it up with conservatives from one of the reddest areas north of the Mason Dixon line. The Rick Smith Show grew steadily, attracting listeners starved for a voice that spoke to working stiffs who felt the economic floor crumbling beneath them. Rick just celebrated 10 years on the air this past Labor Day.
- Panelist: Steve Horn – Steve Horn is a Madison, WI-based investigative journalist. A Research Fellow for DeSmogBlog.com and Contributing Editor for CounterPunch Magazine, his reporting focuses on energy and climate, foreign policy and energy geopolitics, higher education, money in politics and lobbying, the public relations industry, among other things.
- Panelist: Katie Klabusich – Katie Klabusich is a contributing writer for The Establishment, host of The Katie Speak Show on Netroots Radio and a founding board member of The Clinic Vest Project. Her work can also be found at Rolling Stone, Truthout, RH Reality Check, and Bitch Magazine.
- Panelist: Zach Roberts – Zach D. Roberts is a photo/video journalist whose work has been published in the Observer, The Guardian Online,TheNation.com, The Village Voice, Al Jazeera America and Truthout.com. For the past 8 years he’s been working as a researcher/producer for investigative journalist Greg Palast.
Association of Campus Events (ACE); the Departments of Communications Studies, Electronic Media, and English; the Dean’s Office of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; and the Dean’s Office of Visual & Performing Arts.
For more information, please contact Dr. Kevin Mahoney: email@example.com | 610-683-4337